RATTLING NOISE

1998 Vauxhall Fronterra

Noises problem
1998 Vauxhall Fronterra Four Wheel Drive Manual

Hi, I have a frontera sport 3 door 2ltr 1998.

When I pull away in first gear and when I reverse there is a noticable springy noise like a spring being stretched and released.

I also have a loud rattling noise like metal against metal when I take my foot off the gas which dissappears when the clutch is pressed.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc.
Pixelmonkey

Sounds like the clutch release bearing needs replacing. The " spring" noise could also be related to the clutch plate springs. Have the clutch checked !

Dave H
Hi, had a new clutch fitted today and the problem persists. However, the metal to metal rattling noise seems to have eased however that springy noise is still there more so when reversing.

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Pixelmonkey
Have you checked the clutch pedal spring? May just need a little lubrication?

Dave H
Thanks for the replies, would that be inside or outside the car as the noise is coming from underneath and its pretty loud?

Pixelmonkey
Clutch pedal spring, is actually on the clutch pedal itself, underdash. Also some models have a spring on the exhaust system. You could check the gear linkage is not hitting onto this in some way. I'm not sure if your model has one fitted. Hava look underneath at exhaust. Try shaking it from side to side?

Dave H