ENGINE CUTS OUT UPON ACCELLERATION OVER 20

1998 Toyota Rav4

1998 Toyota Rav4 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 211000 miles

Okay. So, had an oil leak. Was leaking around the oil pump, so I replaced the seals and o-rings and no oil leak. So, I go to do a test drive, and I can't get this thing out of my garage! It will usually turn over, but when I accellerate or rev it up past 2000 RPM, it dies on me like it's out of gas. There is a full tank. I thought maybe it was the crank sensor, but when I replaced it, it didn't fix the problem. So I thought it was the throttle position sensor. Replaced that, no change. My MT2500 isn't showing any codes. I did look at what the TPS was doing, and it showed at an idle between 12.6 and when I pushed it, no more than 70. That's why I thought it was the TPS. I have not checked the fuel pressure yet. Right n ow, I have it up on two jack stands. I can start it, and then it sputters out like it's running out of gas, or sometimes it will idle for quite a while, but as soon as I gas it, it sputters out and dies. The fuel pump seems to be cycling as I can turn it on and off with my mt2500. Help! This woman needs her car back, and I" m at my wits end here.
Anthonyauto

Okay, so I tried to keep it running with ether, and that didn't work either, so I don't know if it's a fuel system problem, or something else wrong with the engine. Help!

Anthonyauto
Check the TPS voltage-closed should be 0.3-1.0 volts and WOT at 3.2-4.9volts. Also check the fuel pressure

I replaced the TPS already? And would the fuel pressure matter if I crimped it off and was trying to keep it going with just ether? Wouldn't that have made a difference if fuel pressure was the problem, meaning. Wouldn't I have been able to keep it running off the ether if fuel pressure was the problem? What should the map sensor show with the engine off? With the engine off, it's reading 93 VPA?

Anthonyauto
Check the actual fuel pressure with and without vacuum to the regulator-crimping the return line should double the normal pressure-

MAP sensor voltage should be 4.5-5.5 volts not in specs check wiring-

Turn ignition on an applyvacuum to the MAP see below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_map_4.jpg

So I buy this 500 dollar fuel pressure gauge system from Snap On. Break the adapter it says to use within 5 minutes, get a replacement only to find out that the book says to use the wrong adapter. Use the right adapter, and the stupid gauge doesn't show anything, but I have pressure coming to the filter. *Twitchtwitch* If I disconnect the map sensor, I can get it to start and idle, but if I reconnect the map sensor, it shuts off. I don't quite see how I can check the voltage on the map sensor the way it is. Suggestions? It looks like if I disconnect it to check with the OHM meter, it doesn't make sense. Help?

Anthonyauto
The MAP sensor operates exactly like the vacuum advance unit on the conventional distributor. Check the supply and output voltage to it-

Supply voltage 4.5-5.5 volts

Output voltage varies with vacuuum-check with a vacuum pump. See above chart.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_map_sensor_rav_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_map1_2.jpg

Replaced the map sensor. Didn't fix it. : ( Could it be the cam sensor?

Anthonyauto
Now, I can keep it running as long as I keep applying gas, but it won't stay running?

Anthonyauto
During replacement of TPS, did you calibrate it?

Recheck the idle air control valve/PCV and EGR valves-