VIBRATION ON WHEEL

1997 Toyota Rav4

Steering problem
1997 Toyota Rav4 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 175000 miles

There is a vibration that is felt very strongly on the wheel at all speeds, even when the car is standing. The vibration can be felt somewhat stronger when I push the brakes, but if I let go of the brakes, it is still there. It is not worse when I am speeding, I feel it mostly (or it annoys me more, not sure) when the car is standing. The problem is getting more and more consistent, not as intermittent as before.

I've read that it could be something related to the balancing of the tires or something called " feathering". FYI: I had this same problem about 5 months ago and they rotated the tires and it was fixed. Could it be that I'm having the same problem again? Why after only 5 months?
Colonana

It could be caused by balance. Let me explain some things to you. Feathering is can be caused by alignment, weak shocks, or tire balance. You can see it and feel it on the tire itself. If you run the palm of your hand over the tire, you will feel high and low spots. THat can cause a vibration. Also, tire balance can do the same.

Next, I need to know where you feel the viration the most, the steering or the seat and floor. I ask because of this. If you feel it more in the steering, the problem is with the front tires. If you feel it in the seat / floor, it is coming from the rear tires.

Let me know if this helps or if you have other questions.

Thank you SO much for your quick response! I feel the vibration mostly on the wheel (the center). I feel it mostly when the car is sitting.

I am taking the car to the mechanic on Friiday. Is this the information I should provide? I am trying to learn how to communicate with mechanics! Thank you so much!

Colonana
Yes, you should walk in letting them know what you are talking about. Say what I said to you. Also, before you have them do anything, let me know what they tell you and I will guide you.

If you have questions, concerns. Let me know. I will be glad to help you as much as I can.

Thanks for using 2carpros. Com