CLUTCH PROBLEM

Toyota Pickup

I have a 95 Toyota pickup4x4. It has the 4 cyl in it.I have 215,000 miles on this truck.I replaced the clutch 2 years ago. Everything went in was new. Drove great till about 2 months ago. Really hard to shift gears. So I replaced the slave cylinder. Worked great for a little bit. Now I have the same problem but it's only occasional. Sometimes this will shift with two fingers going through the gears. Then other times you need two hands to pull it into gear.I rebled the slave cyl. No leaks.I took it to the shop he told me he thought the pressure plate was bad.I told him that it was only 2 years old and that it shifted great half the time. Just every now and again you get a workout trying to get it in gear.I thought if it was the pressure plate it would be hard to shift all the time. Anyway I am still thinking that it is something besides the pressure plate!But I replaced the slave cyl. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Larry Miller

When you have a hard shift try pumping the clutch pedal. If it does better, replace the clutch master cyl. Good luck

Losone
Is the clutch master cylinder like a brake master cylinder?In that it can have an internal leak in it that can cause this problem?
It will be a lot easier to put one on than to tear this down to replace the clutch.I will give it a try.
Thanks so much,
Larry

Larry Miller
Yes the system is like a brake system. The master cyl is activated with the clutch pedal and the slave cyl pushes in the clutch arm.

I just recently replaced both on my 98 Tacoma 5sp. Easy job.

MY 2006 tacoma is going to be a bit harder when it needs replacement. The master cyl is inside the truck above the clutch pedal.

It is a common problem. The master cyl is on the fire wall and the slave on the outside of the tranny. You are lucky to have a Toyota, Ford puts the slave inside the tranny case.

Losone