OIL LEAKING FROM TIMING BELT COVER HOW TO

1992 Toyota Paseo

1992 Toyota Paseo 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 95,540 miles

I have been having an oil leak problem with my car

my 1992 Toyota Paseo has a fast leak going on.

at first I thought it was the oil pan and the oil pan gasket so I bought a oil pan gasket. Also I was told to tighten the oil pan bolts, since they could come loose with age.

So I jacked the car up and went underneath and when I looked I saw that the oil seemed to be leaking from the underneath the timing belt cover.

What could possibly be the causes of the oil leaking there at an alarming rate (especially when the engine is on idle and shortly after I park and shut the engine off) It seems to drip faster when the engine is hot (while driving and at idle) and what needs to be done to stop the leak.
PhillyKorean

Hi PhillyKorean,

Behind the timing belt covers there are two oil seals, cam and crankshaft.

Most probably the crankshaft oil seal is dislodged from its position. Happens quite often when the seal is hardened.

You need to get the timing belt out to replace the seals. Most probably the timing belt needs to be replaced as it would be contaminated with oil.