DISTRIBUTOR PROBLEMS ETC.

Toyota Corolla

Hey how are you, I have been through so much frustration with this car since March of this year. Its a 1991 Toyota Corolla, 1.6L engine, 107,000+ miles. In march it wouldnt turn over one night and one mechanic told me I needed a new distributor. I purchsed a used one and the car cranked fine, however it jerked when I put the car in drive or reverse for about 5 seconds then began to drive fine. The check engine light would come on randomly then go off. The car engine would also stall and stop every time I came to a stop. After this I took the car to castrol car care center and they ran a diagnostic and found that I had a code 14 igniter problem/possible ECM. The guy told me to buy a new distributor and I did, but once I got that one put in, the car still is driving sluggish. What could be the problem? Because nobody can seem to give me a solid answer or figure it out.
Dirkalbright

Is it just low on power? There is a procedure to properly set the timing, the ECM has to be bypassed so a base timing can be set

Jack42
I dont know if its low on power or not. But when the car gets hot it starts driving sluggish and it wont pass 30 miles an hour, no matter how fast I press the gas. Plus it starts the stalling when the car gets hot. While it's cold all it does is jerk, but it drives fine for about 5 minutes

Dirkalbright
Try loosening the exhaust before the converter to see if it is plugged

Jack42