98 MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGT

1998 Toyota Corolla

Hi,
I drive a 98 Toyota Corolla. Has around 91k miles on it. It drives very well. However, today while slowing down on a ramp before entering the Highway I noticed that the engine malfunction indicator light came on for about a minute or so. I drove for another half an hour after that and did not notice the light again. Could this be indicative of anything? Should I wait for some more time before I take it to a mechanic? If I do take it to a mehanic, should I ask him to perform some specific tests?

Also, on another issue, the last time I had my car checked a few months back, I had asked the mechanic whether my car has a timing belt and should I change it and he had mentioned that my car (98, Corlloa) has a timing chain and that lasts a lifetime and that I should not change it. Is this correct?

Will really appreciate your answer.
JAdam

First thing you ned to do is scan the PCM for trouble codes, then replace failed sensor and recheck, clear codes to recheck. http://www.eautoelectronics.com... yes it does have a timing chain.

2CarPros Ken