OIL USAGE PROBLEMS IN 02

2002 Toyota Corolla

I have a 2002 Corolla w/ 77K miles on it. It is using up oil fairly quickly between oil changes. After having it checked at a nearby garage, I was told there are no signs of leakage or of burning oil (the only problem was a rattling noise and finally the oil light came on once and went off - both problems ceased after adding oil). They said to drive it 500 miles and bring it back. I checked the dipstick after hitting 500 miles and there was no oil on it. I added oil and haven't driven it since, but the level on the dipstick has not decreased.

I have heard that, worst case scenario, the car could need a whole new engine. I have also been told that a plugged up vacuum valve has caused such symptoms in Toyotas. Any thoughts?
EnFan

As you can see below your post (1994 losing oil) I have the same problem. I was tool two times that its just the pcv. I replaced it two times. Then a shop person told me I needed a new pcv and have something drilled out. That the car was burning oil inside. I though he did that. But I'm losing oil and I'm going to call him.

Bud4auburn
The local Toyota Service Dept just emailed me and told me what it sounded like was oil pasing by the rings. Cost to fix $1770 in my 1994.

Bud4auburn