NECESSARY REPLACEMENT OF SERPENTINE BELT?

Toyota Corolla

Toyota Corolla 2003, 64k

A Toyota dealer recently changed my serpentine belt. They got my authorization by claiming the belt was cracked. It was not. But now they claim that the belt was 'glazed, slipping and wearing unevenly'.

Some questions.
-- Can a belt be slipping given I never heard a sound?
-- If it is slipping, are there any other 'signs' other than noise?
-- What does a glazed belt look like (a pointer to where I might find a picture of a glazed belt would be nice)? This belt flexes well and no part looks different to the rest.
-- What would 'wearing unevenly' mean? The only wear I can see is minor wear (normal : ) on the side of the belt. By this I mean that on some parts you can see stiching as though it's new, in some areas you see the rubber (stitching has faded or been worn).
-- what makes belt replacement 'necessary'?

P.S. The belt was just under 8000 miles on it. When I examined the belt they had left in my car, I assumed that they had misinterpreted my instructions and left a new belt :
Belt was replaced at 57k after intermittent noise that disappeared after a couple of minutes - belt was diagnosed as glazed back then.
Chess0bc

Serpentine belt wear is one of the most misunderstood problems on a vehicle. Everything depends on temperature, engine performance (smooth running) and condition of the pulleys. A belt can look new and still have thick and thin spots.

A good rule of thumb is to replace the tensioner and the belt. The spring loaded action of the tensioner causes thick and thin places.

Flip the belt over at various locations and if there are more than 3 cracks per inch replace it. The last rule is ALWAYS replace the belt between 45,000 and 60,000 miles. It will save a lot of problems.

Lastly DON" T buy a belt from discount supply houses. Get a quality belt and replace the tensioner at the same time. It is a small expense to save a very expensive repair.

Good luck

Losone
That series 03 on up thru at least 05 have a reputation for noise when starting cold. Usiually it, s related to the tensioner malfunctioning. Sometimes it, s just the belt. Alot of discusssion how to replace the tensioner all over the web.

Jamesmetairie