BURNING A CLUTCH

2008 Toyota Corolla

2008 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 28600 miles

Assuming I never ride the clutch. If the clutch in my car 'burns out' at 28,000 km, what else could cause that?

I never ride the clutch and have had no problems with my car until yesterday I came to a stop at a stop sign, and when I went to continue I had next to no power. I immediately pulled over and could smell a faint burning smell.
The car was towed to my nearest Toyota dealer and they are saying I must ride my clutch to cause it to be burned out like it is.
I don't, ever. There is a little foot rest by the clutch I use when I am driving to keep my foot.

Also, why have I never smelled it before or had any problems with the transmission until yesterday. It seemed to be sudden.

And it was just in for maintenance last month and they test drove it and said everything was a-okay.

Thanks for any thoughts. Donation will go to anyone who offers a problem that turns out to be the real one. If in the end none is found I will award based on which I think is the best. (Unscientific, I know. Sorry)
Aimdesign

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

To have a clutch fail at this distance is quite unusual, as you say you don't ride the clutch one would assume that the clutch assembly must be in some way faulty, as this is a no adjustable (hydrostatic) clutch, it will not be an adjustment issue, the only thing that comes to mind is that the clutch pedal free play is correct, have the service center check this out, short of that, I can offer no reasonable explanation as to why the clutch has failed except for riding or a faulty unit.

Mhpautos
Riding the clutch is sort of a generic term.

Do you hold the car on an incline with the clutch, or rev the engine and let out clutch?

Was the flywheel replaced or resurfaced after clutch install? If flywheel was not replaced or resurfaced, it would cause premature wear.

But as Mark pointed out, short of a defective disc, pressure plate or improper install. Most clutch problems are caused by driving habits.

Mmprince4000