STEERING WHEEL SHAKES

1998 Toyota Corolla

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1998 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

My steering wheels shakes at high speeds like 70mph and car shakes too much (when compared to other cars)when going through uneven roads. I took it to a auto-repair shop, they checked it and said its due to my inner tire rod ends & the estimate for fixing it is upto $400. And another repair shop told me it might be due to tire balance problems. I called Toyota dealers and they said inner tire rod ends rarely have a problem and he has never seen any car having that problem till now.

What do you think the problem might be due to? Am I getting ripped off by these stores?
Jamesbond007

Jack up the front end and grasp the tire and pull horizontally and vertically looking for any movement, if none then tires are out of balance or camber/toe-in.
If you have movement it could be inner/outer tie rods, ball joints, or bearings.

Mmprince4000