CAR SHAKING

1997 Toyota Corolla

Other Category problem
1997 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 73000 miles

My car, Toyota Corolla 1997, started to shake two months ago, when I put it to reverse gear to go out of my parking place. It continued to shake while I was driving, though not as strong as at the beginning. I went to mechanic, he replaced three serpentine belts and the timing belt in the engine and problem disappeared. Two weeks ago car started to shake again, but after 15-30 minutes of driving the vibration stopped and I didn't notice it for several days. Then shaking started and stopped again, as first time. I went to mechanic, he replaced all four engine mounts - front, rear and sides. Since that car shaking is even worse. Right now my car shakes pretty strong when I stop on the lights. When I drive it vibrates a little bit, but not as bad as when I stop and press the brake pedal. One of the mechanic hypotheses was that the compression at the engine cylinders is different. It cost me 80$ to check this hypothesis and to confirm that it was wrong - the pressure was the same in all cylinders (190). There are other hypothesis, which are more expensive, and it would cost me the price of my car to check all of them.
I will be really appreciative if anyone who had similar experience with the happy end can give me advice regarding my case,
Thank you very much,
Natalya
Natalya

Is the check engine light on? Are we talking a vibration or is the engine missing? A little slower to get up to speed?

Jack42
Hi, the check engine light was on when the mechanic gave car back to me (he replaced mounts). I told him about that problem and he turned light off. The engine is on place (maybe I didn't understand your question - what does it mean is the engine missing? ). I have a feeling that car behave differently than before, maybe a little slower, some new sound, though I am not sure.

Natalya
Is the check engine light back on? Sounds like it may have a cylinder misfire, that is why it seems slower. Running on 3 cylinders instead of 4. Have Autozone scan it, they do it free, look in history codes if light isnt on now, this will tell us what he cleared out to make the light go off

Jack42
The engine light is off and the compression was measured two days ago, it was 190 in all four cylinders. As to speed, I am not sure that the car is slower, maybe a little bit, maybe not, hard to say now. The main problem is that car is shaking when I press brake pedal and stop.

Natalya
Ok, so it does it when you use the brakes? Have the front rotors measured for run-out. Sounds like they are warped, that will cause vibration upon braking. Is this the only time it does it?

Jack42
The car shakes when it is not moving and I press on brake, for example on stop signs or on lights. If I press on brake, but car hasn t stopped yet, it doesn't shake. Also, it shakes (less) in idle conditions. The brakes have been checked recently, rear brake shoes were replaced, front ones were OK, brakes fluid was changed.

Natalya