FX WON'T START

1987 Toyota Corolla

The car will start when cold, and run fine once it starts. But once it gets hot, if you stop for 30 mins - 1 hr or so, then try to start the car, it will crank, but not start.

to get it started I have to add carb cleaner directly to the carburator.

what is the problem, I bought a new fuel filter, and it ran fine for a day or so. But I just got stuck today.

it ran fine once it got started.
Jchamberlain

It runs fine once it starts

Jchamberlain
If you find out what the problem is please post it b/c I have been having the same problem; I have posted like 4 threads and I haven't gotten any responses. My camry has been to 2 shops and still nothing.

Cris02
I fixed three things and it seems to be running fine.

One, it seems to get water in the the carbourator, so I add water remover from time to time.

Two the carbourator pre heat hose had delaminated, thus clogging it (outside looked fine, but inside came undone and closed up).

3rd I was getting flooding because the bolt holding down my caebuerator broke, when I tried to start it hot it flooded the engine.

From time to time it takes a few extra seconds to start, but now it always does. Hope that helps.

Reply if you found something that fixes everything.

Jchamberlain
Thanks I am going to check the carb. I'll let you know

Cris02
I should also say that I check/ replaced the obvious things. Timing, fuel filter, air filter etc

Jchamberlain
Maybe your automatic choke is binding-closing off the choke plate when hot creating the no start