97 STALLING PROBLEM

1997 Toyota Camry

My 97 Camry has almost 200,000 miles on it. My dad and brother are both mechanics and completely overhauled the engine on it last year (all new seals, head gasket, spark plugs, etc.) Recently it started stalling or nearly stalling every time I come to a stop. It runs perfectly fine when I'm maintaining a steady speed, but as soon as I start to brake it starts to chug and, most often will completely die. Usually it starts right back up, but sometimes I have to let it sit for a while before it will start again. Sometimes when I put it in park it will start to " race", going over 2000 rpm, and when I try to put it in gear it automatically dies.
One garage told me I needed new spark plugs, pcv valve, and fuel system cleaning, all of which were done within the last year. The Toyota dealer told me the timing belt needs to be re-set (which was also replaced within the last year). Another mechanic cleaned off the throttle plates. Nothing has helped, and I am at a loss and tired of garages charging me hundreds of dollars to tell me what is not wrong with it. Any suggestions you can give me would be greatly appreciated!
Kmbiese

Check for vacuum leaks, especially in the boot between the MAF and the engine

Jack42
My corolla 1993 has almost the same problem as yours, my friend check the car, but nothing was found to be wrong.
I did my timing belt change in Toyota shop last year (2005, August) and my car has problem beginning january.
The engine shake and stall when I stop the car.
I think maybe the fuel filter is dirty(it only cost 22 dollars), but I don't know.
I want to ask you a couple question,
did you let toyota mechanic reset the timing belt?
If you did, is that help?

Is your car OK now? How you fix it?
Thank you.

Rock2001wwf
I have been having this same problem in my wifes 98 Camry. I put in a new fuel filter last month and it seemed fine after. Today it did it again in the middle of an intersection and wouldn't start back up. I pushed it to the side of road and got it started after 10 minutes. It isn't the fuel filter unfortunately and I am now in the same situation again. Did you end up figuring out what the issue was? Friends have recommended changing Fuel pressure regulator or the Camshaft and Crankshaft sensors but neither are a guarantee.

Dayton99