TOYOTA CAMRY COMBINATION SWITCH PROBLEM

1995 Toyota Camry

1995 Toyota Camry

The hi beams will not come on when I turn the headlights on only low beams come on.
Mbenco

If all fuses are good, check the headlight control relay. It is located under the hood on the left fender well in relay block #2. Hope this helps.

James W.
James: The fuses are good and so is the relay. Also the headlight switch works fine. Is there any other relay that is dedicated only to the high beams?

Mbenco
Do you have DRL (daytime running lights) on your Toyota? This makes a big difference on the wiring diagram. Please advise.

James W.
Yes I do

Mbenco
OK, with DLR, there is another relay under the hood (#5) for the high beams. This relay is controlled by the DLR relay/module behind the instrument panel. If #5 relay is good, then it must be a problem with the DLR module. If you have, or have access to, a fax # I can ship you a copy of the diagram. I can attach it to this post, but they don't come through very well.

James W.
Yes I have a fax # 361-578-6705

Mbenco
Fax is on it's way. I sent you 2

James W.
Thanks James: What do you do stay up all night and answer questions? I got that fax at midnight my time in victoria tx. Anyway I was wrong about having DRL's they only came on the canadian built cars, sorry about that, I was looking at the wrong schematic in my Haynes manual. So I think I'm going to change out the headlight combination switch and see if that fixes the problem.I do wonder tho if there could be a problem with the integration relay. Have you ever had a problem with one?

Mbenco
Yes, sometimes I'm up most of the night. You get started on this and before you know it, it's 2 or 3am. I'm in Minnesota so it was midnight here, also. Sorry to bother you so late. I heard you answer the phone. When we respond to a post, we have no idea what country you're from. A lot of people don't realize that we're worldwide and when it's 2am here, it's only noon there. Part of our computer program is for translating 38 different languages into english and back again. It's interesting to say the least.
Anyway, on to your question. I faxed you both DRL and nonDRL diagrams just in case. Yes, it could very well be the combination switch. You can check inputs/outputs according to the diagram. For what it's worth, we get get a lot of posts for Toyota Camry lighting problems. It seems to just be a weak point in design. If there is anything else I can help you with, you know where to find us.

James W.
I changed out the switch today(it wasn't too difficult using my haynes manual) and when I tried the lights they didn't work, but I took the relay out and shorted across 2 poles and the hi beams came on. So tomorrow I'm going to replace the relay and I'll let you know how it turns out FYI the comb. Switch cost $55.00(used) and the relay cost $22.00(new)

Mbenco