OVERHEATING

1994 Toyota Camry

Engine Cooling problem
1994 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 246, 00 miles

new water pump, new radiator, new temp. Sensor. I put the thermostat in water, heated it up several times. Seems to be opening ok but still runs hot. Sitting still it will heat up nomally, both fans will come on. After cycling on and off a few times. It starts spitting hot water out the over flow resevoir.I`ve unpluged the sensor in the bottom of the radiator so the fans run all the time but it still over heats. I took the top radiator hose off to check circulation, it doesn`t seem to be circulating. Do you gentlemen know what could be wrong? Any ideas, any advice
Paulmoats46

Hi paulmoats46, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation.

Brand new water pump, radiator and thermostat working okay-try bleeding the cooling system don't work get it block and pressure tested to rule out a blown headgasket, cracked head or block and intake manifold leak

That answer doesn t help me.I checked compression, 155 on 3 cylinders.170 on 1

Paulmoats46
Your engine compression is good. Block testing is a liquid type tester that changes color if there's combustion gases in the cooling system. Pressure test is applying air pressure in the cooling system

Do this open up the radiator cap and start engine up if coolant spewing out -could mean your headgasket is blown-to verify again use a block tester.

Double check the water pump though its new and also the thermostat

Ok thanks, that answer helped a little. How do you check a water pump?I took the thermostat out, ran water throught it both ways, made sure it was full, started it up. No water came out top hose.

Paulmoats46
Water pump checking-remove rad cap, start the car up let it run for a few mins, coolant should be swirling around now pinch off the top hose for a few secs then let go the coolant flow should increase if the water pump is working

I did it like that both ways, with thermostat in. With thermostat out no flow either way

Paulmoats46
You need to open it back up and investigate the water pump

I looked real close at the impeller, housing, water inlet thermostat, hole going into head. There s nothing visably wrong that I can tell

Paulmoats46
Try putting the old water pump back on and see if it pushes coolant towards the radiator-

Put the old water pump back on and see what happens