DISABLING TRUNK RELEASE BUTTON ON DASHBO

2006 Toyota Avalon

2006 Toyota Avalon 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 21000 miles

I would like to disable the trunk release button on the lower left side of the dashboard without disabling the trunk release capability on the wireless remote control (for the model with key ignition switch).

The reason I want to do this is to simplify opening the trunk. To reduce the chances of theft from the trunk due a break-in of the passenger compartment, one must disable the trunk release button on the dashboard by pushing a button in the glove compartment and them locking the glove compartment. Unfortunately, pushing this glove compartment button also disables the trunk release button on the wireless remote control. The trunk does not have a key hole. Thus, with the button in the glove compartment set and the glove compartment locked, it's a pain to put the laptop or other valuable item used during a trip into the trunk whenever making a stop.

Disabling the trunk release button on the dashboard without disabling the trunk release button on the wireless remote control would make it easy to open the trunk without unlocking the glove compartment and pushing the button at the beginning and end of each rest stop -- just like the old days when there was a trunk key hole!
J12251225

Instead of messing with any wiring, go to Toyota and get the dash plug for where the button goes without that option (no hole) pop the button out of the old bezel and push it back in the dash behind the new cover (no hole) that way you have left it all intact so the system doesnt know the differnece and the button is hidden behind the cover

Jack42
Jack,
I think you have me headed in the right direction, but I'm not quite there yet. I went to a Toyota dealer to get the part you suggested. It turns out on the 2006 Avalon XLS, the trunk release and the gas cover release are together in just one part, even though they appear to be separate parts. Therefore, I would have to pop both release buttons and push them back into the dash before using the piece that would cover both holes.

Is there some other way to make the trunk release button inoperable or unavailable? For example, could there be a separate fuse just for that button?
Thanks for your help,
Jim

J12251225
The fuse feeds more than just the trunk release.Have you tried unplugging it? does thetrunk switch have aseperate connector, if so you should be able to just unplug it without it effecting anything else.It is simply a grounding switch so it wont hurt anything to unplug it

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/1639_yota_1.jpg

Jack42
Jack,

I've carefully studied the fuse charts in the owner's manual and cannot figure out which fuse controls the trunk release. In addition, I'm not sure how to unplug the connector to the trunk release button on the lower dash panel to the left of the steering wheel without removing the entire panel. Also, is it possible for you to post a slightly higher resolution image of the wiring diagram? I was unable to read most of what was in the iimage in your last email, even when I looked at the jpg file directly.

Thanks again for your help,
Jim

J12251225
Forget the fuse, it runs other things as well. You will most likely have pop the panel off to access the plug. Send me your email and I will email you the diagram If you still need it after unplugging the switch

Jack42