BRAKES LOCK UP

1995 Toyota Avalon

Brakes problem
1995 Toyota Avalon 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 201000 miles

I had my front brakes all of a sudden lock up and the rotors got real hot and the smell was terrible. My ABS is not functioning as I can't afford to replace the $600 module. What could I do to prevent my brakes from locking up again? This has never happened before and in this case I was just slowing down to make a left trun.
Thanks for your time and any suggestions you can offer,
Gordon
Jacksix

Gordon, if the brakes are locking up, it has a hydraulics problem, not an ABS problem. Whel the lock-up occurs, jack the car up, open the bleeder screw, if the wheel spins, replace the flex hoses, if it doesnt spin, replace the calipers. If the ABS light is on, it means the system is NOT working. Normal non abs part of your system still functions, even without ABS.

Merlin2021
Merlin,
So after we got it towed home we jacked it up, took off the tires and inspected the calipers, etc. While on jack stands we put the car in drive and repeatedly stepped on the brake, off the brake. The wheels spin fine. So, what you're saying is that possibly the flex lines are bad, correct? One of my friends suggested that the proportioning valve may be bad also, what do you rthin?
We will replace the flex lines as you suggested though and get back to you.
This has not been a recurring problem yet. Just freaked us out and so that's where we are with it so far.
Thanks for your reply,
Gordon

Jacksix
What I said was, you need to check it when the brakes are dragging or locked on. Or if there is uneven pad wear, both pads should be the same thickness, and both calipers should have the same wear of the pads.

Merlin2021