DOWNSHIFT AT 10 MPH

1994 Toyota 4Runner

1994 Toyota 4Runner 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 200656 miles

Hi,
I have a '94 4Runner v6 4x4 A/T with 200,656 miles. It's been giving me a few problems lately but I've taken care of most of them, or so I think. Just last night I was driving at about 35 and the transmission just haulted to a stop. I didn't know what was going on so I tried to continue to drive it, dumb idea. The problem is, I turn it on, starts fine, I put it in reverse, reverses fine. When I put it in drive I begin to accelerate and I can't get it past ~10 mph without the transmission seeming like it's trying to downshift into a lower gear which, in result, it slows down dramatically.
Cflowers07

Hi cflowers07,

Thank you for the donation.

Seems the trans is binding and there is an internal fault.

Possible causes for poor acceleration : Faulty torque converter,
Faulty OD direct clutch,
Faulty OD planetary gear unit
Faulty OD brake.
Faulty 2nd coast brake,
Faulty direct clutch,
Faulty 2nd brake
Faulty 1st and reverse brake.
Faulty forward clutch.

Did you try to manually shift from L to 2 then to D?
Disconnect the electrical connectors for soleanoids from rear end of transmission while performing the above test. If transmission works correctly, it should be a fault with the electrical controls.

Thank you very much for the speedy response. Yes I tried shifting each gear manually and still the same problem occurs. It only happens with forward motion though

Cflowers07
That would indicate a mechanical fault and the trans is due for a rebuild or replacement.

Thanks again for the help. One last question. How much does a rebuild usually cost?

Cflowers07
Prices varies region to region and condition and symptoms of the transmission would affect the price.

It is best to enquire at a few local outlets to get an idea. Most would be around the range of $1500 for your year model.