CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

1996 Suzuki Sidekick

1996 Suzuki Sidekick 4 cyl Automatic 104214 miles

Hi,
I have discovered that the car I was interested in buying has a problem with the " check engine" light. What does it mean? Is it true that it won't pass the state test?
Thanks!
Bambola76

Hi there,

It will not pass testing until the problem that is causing the check light to come on ids rectified, you will have to get a scan done to read this fault code.

Mhpautos
Hi again Mark,
I guess the problem could be something important so I guess that the mechanic could charge a lot of money for that, right?
Thanks!

Bambola76
Hi again,

Not always the case, the scan is just a basic computer read, this will give you a code for the fault, with this code we then can determine better what costs are involved.

Mhpautos
Hi again,
Well then, I will have to ask the owner if he could take the car for that check and tell me the code. Problem is that he lives in San Antonio and I'm located in Houston, which is 3 hours driving distance... He's asking $2,700 for a 96 SIdekick with all these problems: AC compressor to replace and this check engine light... I checked the price of this used car in the KBB guide and it says that the car is worth $1,800 but, if I have to repair all this, I don't know if it worthy... What do you think?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/526561_100_0870_2.jpg

Bambola76