92 ; BRAKE WARNING LIGHT STAYS ON

1992 Suzuki Sidekick • 319 miles

Hi;
I have had this vehicle for nearly 8 months now, and just recently (within the week) I noticed that the Parking Brake light stays on even when the brake is not on! Now- when I put the brake off, the headlights turn off (of course) but like I said, the warning light stays on.
I'm not sure if this is a sign of some /other/ warning, seeing as I have a decent leak in my power steering system *somewhere* that seemed to get about twice as bad right before this light went on.

When I apply pressure to the brakes, they are just as firm as they have always been, and there is no discoloration/leak nor is there any debris in the reservoir.

I am at a bit of a loss here. I'm hoping this is just something simple and not "lethal" to both my vehicle and my wallet.

Note: I was recently working on my stereo and I blew the fuse. I then proceeded to pull a fuse from somewhere else in the box (the RWAL spot -- I figured it had something to do with "Rear Window" something-or-other, not "Rear Wheel AntiLock")
Would that have anything to do with it? I had already replaced the fuse as soon as I pulled it, seeing as it is a 25A fuse (and the fuse is still good), but the light is now on and I have no clue if that's from what happened with the fuse.

On a side note, where is a good place to pull power from for a CB radio? I'm thinking the lighter (seeing as I don't use the actual cigarette lighter), but is there somewhere better?

Brandon277

Oh, by the way, that's 319, xxx KM. NOT Miles.

Brandon277
Put the fuse back in for the rear wheel abs brake. It may take care of the light.

If not, try moving the e brake handle to see if the switch is stuck. Check the fluid level in the master as well.

Roy; I had already put the fuse back in the RWAL spot as mentioned -- I only had it out for less than 10 seconds.
Also, like I mentioned above. When I move the e-brake handle, the headlights switch on or off depending on the position (on / off) of the e-brake handle. So I'm pretty sure nothing is stuck there.
Is checking the fluid level of the master cyl. Different from opening up the brake fluid reservoir? I checked there and there were no leaks.

Brandon277
Make sure the level is correct. Low level will cause the light to turn on.

Roy; I have checked the level and it was still quite full.
Is there any chance this light could be caused by a power steering leak/malfunction?

Brandon277
I am pretty sure the hand/park brake warning light on the dash is also an indicator for the power steering system.
I have a similar problem with mine. When I go over a speed bump or make a left turn the park brake warning light would turn on. At first it was only when I went to a full left turn. Gradually it got worse so that any movement of the steering wheel to the left would turn on the light. Now it stays on all the time unless I am turning right. My power steering fluid reservoir is full but I have noticed a leak on one of the hoses. I suspect it is the power steering pump. The power steering pump has a light weight electrical connection that I suspect is the warning indicator.

Maxi P