1992 Subaru Liberty

1992 Subaru Liberty 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 35000 miles

Soon after I bought the car started a rather loud whine came from gear box end of motor, the on a 10km drive it started slipping when changing cear and rpms went to about 4 or 5000, for short periods roughtly 1 second or two, then nothing, about 2% drive when in drive, after cooling for about 5 mins it works again, after about 2km it starts slipping again, just as bad as before.
I have only delt with manuals and older cars all my life and I know it as a worn presure or clutch plate, I was just afetr some advise on the cause and estimated cost on this issue if you could please.

Hi there,

This sounds like the transmission has a serious slipping problem, as you say it may be a clutch pack problem or a pressure problem, but it is the nature of autos that you don't really know the extent of the problem till it is fully disassembled and inspected, I would get an opinion from a transmission re builder first, you may be better served getting a re co changeover box.