REAR WHEELS NOT TURNING ON LIFT, WHIRR

2003 Subaru Forester

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2003 Subaru Forester 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic

Noticing a low whirring noise from the rear, our mechanic ran it on the lift, and noticed the rear wheels not turning. The tranny got hot. He flushed it and changed the fluid and filter, gave my wife a bill for a buck sixty-six, and said he was unsure of why it might be that way. I'm looking for what the likely failure may be and the most cost effective way to deal with it.
Splattgraphics

Hello and thanks for donating

I just want to clarify the issue first. You are saying that the rear wheels are completely locked up and are simply dragging? Or do you mean that they are not pulling as they should be since it's AWD. But they do still free roll?

Bluelightnin6
The rear wheels are freewheeling, not locked up.
The noise became apparent gradually. I don't know how long there's been no drive to the rears, it's even remotely possible that that's why it wound up at the auction where we bought it last fall. It's got about 100,000 miles on it.

Splattgraphics
Now that I think about it, we didn't have any trouble climbing our driveway last winter. We most likely would have if there was no rear drive then.

Splattgraphics
Okay, since the rear wheels are not pulling than it is most likely an issue with the rear differential. Probably a stripped gear in the differential but also check fluids.

Bluelightnin6