START AND DIES AFTER ABOUT 3 MIN

2002 Ford Taurus • 3.0L 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 166,000 miles

I have a 2002 ford taurus vin U 3.0l and when I start the car it will run around 1800 rpm for a few minutes and when it tried to bog down to normal idle say 800 or so it will instatly die. I have replace alot the IAC, TPS, Crank sensor, Fuel pump and filter, Fuel pressure regualtor and fuel pressure sensor, I think thats all but the problem still persist i'm getting kind of stumped, when the engine starts to die if you catch it and hit the gas a bit it will rev back up to 1800 and sit there again for another few minutes kinda like you hit some reset button and round robin goes the problem
Frankj0n3s

I see the list of stuff you replaced. Is there anything else like plugs filters etc. Have you cleaned the mass air flow meter with mass air flow cleaner? Get back to me and we will go from there

Racefan966
Yes I tried that today after reading seeing your post. Nothing changed.
More information I can give going back in history spark plugs were replaced 30,000 miles ago can't remember if wires were replaced, never replaced coil pack, a shop had done a front cover gasket and allowed a senor wire to remain loose and dangle which melted on the EGR tubing and fried the PCM and maxi fuse about 8,000 miles ago said shop replaced the PCM and fixed the wire issue and it drove fine for a while then a few months later I traveled about 250miles total to get a new vehicle got to the dealer and back no problem went to start the car started fine when I put it in reverse and gave it gas it died and has been the way I described ever since. I have drained the fuel tank in hopes it was bad gas and that's when I replaced pump and filter. I think that's everything that has been done within the past 30k miles

Frankj0n3s
So this only happens when you put the car in reverse? What plugs did you use? Were they platinum or not? Get back to me and lets see if we can fix this ok. I don't think its coil pack or anything like that so don't go there yet ok.

Racefan966
No not only when I put it in reverse. It does all this now in park. I don't want to tempt fate and get stuck somewhere driving it. I don't remember if they were platinum plugs I do know they where motorcraft do you want me to pull one and find out? I have tried on more thing since post I tried pulling the pre cat o2 sensor thinking maybe exhaust restriction might be causing the stall and die, but nope, thought it was a long shot anyway as you can hit the gas and make the vehicle continue to run if it was a cat issue I doubt you could do that without seeing some noticeable side effect.

Frankj0n3s
Should have asked this first off is the check engine light on?

Racefan966
Nope I pulled history are for airbag and door switch, replaced battery cuz it was dead that's where I think airbag light came from and door was open when checked codes by yea nothing indicateing a problem

Frankj0n3s
Did this problem start after replacing the battery?

Racefan966
No and I tried to see if it would dye while in gear and it will dye no matter what gear if you are at a stopped position like sitting at 1000 rpms

Frankj0n3s
Sorry for the delay had to think about this for a day, so it only dies in gear? It will run when in neutral or park and not die? Do you have a digital multi meter? Get back to me I will look up a test for the lockup on the torque converter.

Racefan966
No it doesn it no matter what drive reverse nutraln park all the same start it runs high idle 1500 - 1800 rpm for bout 5 minutes and when it warms and drops rpms 800 - 1000 it dies

Frankj0n3s