UPPER ENGINE NOISE

2006 Saturn Vue

2006 Saturn Vue 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 39877 miles

this 2.2 sounds like a sewing machine. Oil pressure is good and engine oil is clean. Do these engines have have problems with timing chain tensiioners failing or lifters collapsing causing noise. There are no codes or running issues other than the noise.I recall older saturn 4 cyls. Wearing out chain guides and having the same noise. Anyone ever had this problem. What should I replace to solve the issue, thanks.
Blustrat6

Hi blustrat6, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

When was your last oil change and filter? Could also be a leakdown problem with the lifters

Engine - Noise/Damage Oil Filter Application Importance
Notes

TBS's INFORMATION

Bulletin No: 07-06-01-016B

Date: July 27, 2009

Subject: Information on Internal Engine Noise or Damage After Oil Filter Replacement

Models: 2010 and Prior Passenger Cars and Trucks (Including Saturn)
2010 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3
2009 and Prior Saab 9-7X

Supercede: This bulletin is being updated to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-06-01-016A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Important
Engine damage that is the result of an incorrect or improperly installed engine oil filter is not a warrantable claim. The best way to avoid oil filter quality concerns is to purchase ACDelco(R) oil filters directly from GMSPO.

Oil filter misapplication may cause abnormal engine noise or internal damage. Always utilize the most recent parts information to ensure the correct part number filter is installed when replacing oil filters. Do not rely on physical dimensions alone. Counterfeit copies of name brand parts have been discovered in some aftermarket parts systems. Always ensure the parts you install are from a trusted source. Improper oil filter installation may result in catastrophic engine damage.

Refer to the appropriate Service Information (SI) installation instructions when replacing any oil filter and pay particular attention to procedures for proper cartridge filter element alignment. If the diagnostics in SI (Engine Mechanical) lead to the oil filter as the cause of the internal engine noise or damage, dealers should submit a field product report. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 02-00-89-002I (Information for Dealers on How to Submit a Field Product Report).

Sir I installed a new MG filter but the noise is still there. Will the lifters eventually pump back or is the damage to top end permenant.I only ran engine for a few minutes. Is there any chance for this 2.2?

Blustrat6
Sir I installed a new GM filter but the noise is still there. Will the lifters eventually pump back or is the damage to top end permenant.I only ran engine for a few minutes. Have you experienced any sucess after new filter, is there any chance for this 2.2?

Blustrat6
Did you soak the lifters before installation and use lube grease on the lifter face-Permanent damage -Its hard to say the camshaft plays a role with the lifters they work together just in the case of the cap and rotor.

Verify the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge to rule out a weak oil pump or a sticking open oil pressure relief valve

Where exactly is the noise coming from is it right on top the head/manifold or within the front cover of the engine-? Let me know asap