CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

2002 Saturn SL1

2002 Saturn SL1 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

This is crcifelli with the 2002 sl1 saturn that we have been talking about and you suggested changing the plugs and wires. I did this this car ran much better and check engine light stayed off for 3 weeks. I went and changed the antifreeze as it was pretty murky and the next day the check engine light came back on. The car still runs fine, should we bring it back to auto zone and see what code comes up and could changing the antifreeze cause the heat sensor to go bad if its old.
Crcifelli

What kind of plug's did you put in?Also you said the coolant looked murky it didn't have oil in it did it?Go back to auto zone and see what code number's you have. Let me know what number's you have.

The didn't have the plugs you told me to use at auto zone so they gave me plugs for a chevy engine. And no there was not any oil in the anti freeze. It's raining here today so as soon as I can we will bring the car back to auto zone to get the code. Are these car engines so sensitive that the plugs would make the engine light come on. Thank you again for all of your help.

Crcifelli
If you use platnuim or split fire it will turn on the engine light on at some point or the engine won't run. Keep me posted.

Not using any platnum or split fire plugs. My daughter went back to auto zone and the crank sensor code came back up and the coolant sensor code came up.

Crcifelli
What are the code number's?I need them you are making it hard to help you since you keep starting a new question instead of posting on your first question you asked and I can't scroll back down and see what was said and done. Very time consuming to have to go to each new post to figure out what is going on.

Sorry about the confusion, oriiginal problem was check engine light came on and my mechanic said it was a bad igition sensor. You told me that they hardly ever go bad and to change the plugs and wires. Two wires were corroded bad and the one coill tower was a little worn. I cleaned them off and the car ran great and still does. I didn't use platnium plugs or mutl firing plugs. The light stayed off for three weeks and I had checked my daghters anti-freeze and It was a little murky no oil in fluid. So she went back to auto zone today and two codes came up one for crank senso again PO340 and PO341 and for the coolant temp sensor PO 128. I hoipe this clears up the confusion. Again thank you very much

Crcifelli
For the p0128 I would replace the thermostat and the coolant temp sensor also inspect the connector going to it if it's corroded then replace the connector too. Make sure you get a brass tipped one the plastic tipped one's crack. As far as the P0340 and P0341 it's not a crank sensor code it's cam signal which your car doesn't have a cam sensor it's basically a rpm signal issue. It could be setting again from that coil that was corroded and you cleaned or some other reason.

Problem crank sensor check engine light came on. Changed sensor, light came on again. You told me to change plugs and wires did this light came on in three weeks. Would bad coil towers cause this and I will replace the coolant sensor and thermostat. Will it cause any harm if I can't get the crank sensor code to go off am cashed straped right now as I said car is running fine thanks again and bless you

Crcifelli
A P0336 is the code for the crank shaft sensor not p0340 and P0341. If the coil tower's wern't cleaned good enough then it could cause a code.