CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON EVERY SO OFTEN, THEN GOES BACK OFF AFTER A FEW DAYS/WEEKS/MONTH...HOW DO I FIX THIS... OR WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?

2002 Saturn SL1 • 108,000 miles

I have a 2002 Saturn SL1. Check Engine light comes on every so often, then goes back off after a few days/weeks/months. Car shop says I need a new "PCM Control Module", but my buddy says the check engine light is usually related to emissions. Often a loose vacuum hose? I NEED my car to pass inspection before the end of this month, so that I can transfer my IL title/registration to TX. This alone will cost nearly $400, but only if my car passes TX state inspection first. The "PCM Control Module" repair will also cost almost $400. I don't have much $ left, and if I can't transfer everything from IL to TX, I will not have a vehicle to get to the job I so badly need.

The car was plugged into the diagnostics at Auto Zone. Code "P0341" for the cam shaft position sensor, but my make/model/year car NEVER had a cam shaft position sensor. Please help. Advice?

No car=no job, which equals no home, again.

Maschergen

So is the P0341 the only code you have?I really dont see it being the pcm though. Its usually spark plugs and wires causing that code. Look and see if there is black carbon where the spark plugs meet the wires. Also you dont have platnuim plugs in the engine do you?

No platinum plugs. There doesn't appear to be any carbon where the plugs and wires meet, however, there is a slight build-up of carbon on the engine head cover, where the plugs and wires connect (i hope that makes sense).

Maschergen
And yes, the P0341 is the only code that comes up.

Maschergen
Any connection issues or interfernce in the wires will set that code. Replacing the plugs and wires is the number one fix for that code. How old are the plugs and wires?

The plugs and wires are at least 5 to 6 years old. What is an average cost to replace the plugs and wires?

Maschergen
I would say your due for some plugs and wires. There super easy to replace in those cars. What is your zip code so I can get you a etimate?

MY zip code is 78748. If this is something I can replace myself, what type of tools will I need. I imagine a special socket will be necessary? Again, cost is very important here. If this IS something I can do myself, will I have to "reset" the "service engine" light, or will it turn itself off? It is imperative that my car pass Texas state inspection parameters before the end of the month.

Maschergen
You will need a 3/8" drive 5/8" spark plug socket a 3/8" drive ratchet and a 4" long 3/8" drive. To replace the wires you will need a 3/8 drive 8mm socket because the wires are bolted down to the coils. Use ngk copper spark plugs no platnuim omes. As far as the wires goes dont by the cheapest ones get like some bosh ac delco or nipon denso wires. The could needs to be reset with a scan tool or it will take a will to clear by itself.