IDLING TOO HIGH

2001 Saturn SC2

2001 Saturn SC2 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 83000 miles

When I start my car it jumps up to 3000 rpms, after a few seconds it drops to about 2600, should be around 600-800. I took the throttle body off cleaned it, took the IAC off cleaned it and tested it and moves slightly, from what I am told thats all it is supposed to move. I also sprayed carb cleaner around vacuum lines, manifold and everywhere else I could think of to check for leaks. I am out of ideas. If you have any it would be a big help. Thanks, Jim
Jimudell76

Do u have any codes?Also u could have the iac motor frozen in place causing the high idle let me know what u find.
Louie

The codes I ended up with were P0301, P0404, and P0507, the iac motor does not seem to be stuck, if you have any ideas let me know. Thx alot. JIM

Jimudell76
Ur code p0301 is cyl 1 missifire woulded cause a high idle code p0404 I belive is a egr code remove ur egr valve check to see if it's leaking clean with some carb spray while u have it off. Code p0507 is high idle u know u have that problem. Most of the time I have seen that high of idle on those Cars has been a vaccuum leak or a stuck iac when it's idling high try tapping lightly where the iac motor is if it idles down then u have a bad iac motor use a little hammer and don't go crazy. Also u might have a bad coolant sensor that could cause a high idle but usually not that high but they are under 10 at the auto parts store if u replace only use a brass tip one not a plastic tip one. Let me know what u find.
Louie