WON'T START WHEN MOTOR HOT

1997 Saturn SC2

1997 Saturn SC2

My 97 Saturn SC2 will not crank when the engine is hot. You can hear the starter engage but it will not turn over. When the enginge cools down or is cold, there is no problem cranking the motor.
CaptainC

I have the same exact problem, on a cold start the engine turns over and starts fine but when the engine is warm and I shut it off it won't start again until the engine is cool. All I get at that point is just a click then nothing.

Battery tested and new, I'm thinking its something with the starter getting hot but i'm not sure.

Dnscal
I have seen alot of them do that its the starter when the windings get hot the windings open up. Replace the starter and u will be fine let me knows how it goes.
Louie

My saturn used to do the same thing. I spoke with a saturn tech at a local dealership down my way and he said that it was the starter relay. I replaced the relay, but it still happend. But I noticed somthing else. It was in park every time I tried to start it. It would start when it was warm and it was neutral. I replaced the parking switch and problem solved.

1999SaturnSC2