SATURN SC1 TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

1992 Saturn SC1

1992 Saturn SC1 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

I have a problem with the trans hard shifting from thrid to drive and at times it will go to neutral and you'll have to stop and restart to get it go again. I've talk to the Saturn shop and they said it's the valve bopdy. I would like to know how hard it is to replace the valve body and what manual I would have to purchase.

Thanks Earl
Eb195

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

When they say it is the valve body, they would not be replacing it as a unit, it has may sliding valves, seal, check balls and they are rather complex items, any transmission work should be done in a dust free clean room, as you don't need very much contaminant in the system to foul things up big time, most general workshops wont do transmission work as they just don't keep all the special tooling needed to do these repairs, it is sub let to transmission specialist for the above reasons, General work shop manuals wont cover this type of work, you will need the factory manuals and they can be very pricey indeed, as for the difficulty of doing this, with the correct tooling and information it is not that difficult, but if you get any dirt in the system or don't follow exactly all instructions and use the correct tooling you are setting your self up for some expensive remedial repairs down the road, my recommendation is get the trans specialist to do this, its what they are trained to do,

mark (mhpautos)

Mhpautos