SPEEDOMETER,

1997 Saturn Other

I have a 97 SL2. I bought it from an online auction. It had some front end damage. I had to replace the engine bracket and frame. I currently have a service light with a wrench, and a service engine soon light. My speedometer is intermittent. It will kick up to the correct speed when I hit rough road or tap on the trip reset button. The odometer works, but not the speedometer. Today I was driving and the speedometer went completely dead. Then I had problems with the car rpms going to zero and the car stalling when I tried to shift gears. As a side note, I also do not have background lights to any of the instrument panels including radio. It makes it kind of difficult to drive in the dark. But the warning indicators work.
JPavlik

First place to start is the fuse box and having the codes pulled. Some large auto parts chains will do this free of charge. You might also consider investing in a scanner.

Soon they will be the first tool in the box.

Good luck and post back. : )

Peppermrj
It is not the fuse box. I have checked all of the fuses. I think the speed sensor is going bad because my speedometer will go completely bad and my shift indicator light does not come on. I think that is linked to the vss.

JPavlik