POWER STEERING AND ABS LIGHT

2006 Saturn Ion

Steering problem
2006 Saturn Ion 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 48000 miles

My power steering goes out. If I cut the car off it does fine till the next time. Could be 30 min to days at a time. I have noticed if I'm going through the mountains or a bunch of curves it does it more often. But as soon as I cut the car off and cut it back on it fixes till the next time.
Also my brake light has come on. E brake down, fluid good, pads good, caliper good, and still have good pedal just the light is on.
thanks for the help
Hornet22

Were are you getting the different codes from. Will a code reader pick up the codes only when the pwr str is in the lcd screen. I don't think its a fuse or the power steering wouldn't work at all. And I do not turn the wheel to the left and hold then to the right and hold. My main questions is about the different code names your getting and how do I get them. Would a cheap code reader at autozone do the trick.

Hornet22
Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem. I have a 2006 ION with 39000 miles and it just started doing it. When I cut the car off it resets or something and I'm ok for about 20 or 30 more minutes or so and then the power steering cuts off again and steering wheel becomes hard again util it turn off and restart the car again. I don't know what this is either.

Visarraraz
Have it scanned for any dtc's, an aftermarket code reader will not work and will not read the codes only a tech 2. I've replaced alot of steering coloumns on these vehicles it's a very common problem. Have scanned first and post back for proper diagnoses.

Brian 1
Call 1-800-553-6000 to file a complaint (you will need your VIN). The very nice customer service rep at Saturn explained to me that consumer feedback is how recalls get started. This is clearly a problem for a lot of 2006 Saturn owners and needs to be addressed by the manufacturer.

SaturnDriver1
We have the same problem, my husband figured out that it gets to hot, and when it gets to hot it shuts off, BUT ours goes out every 2 mins. I think they need to put a recall on it. One of our friends had the same problem, I guess you have to get the whole power steering colum replaced, it is about 1,200.

I was at the saturn dealer getting parts and found out they sell the motor for the steering by itself now so its only a few hundred dollars a big savings thought I would let u know.
Louie

The same thing was happening with my 2006 ion. I brought it to my dealer who said it had to be serviced by a cert service center. The lady at my dealership told me this is a problem with the saturns; it hasn't been " recalled" but they have a " procedure" to fix it. It actually went in this morning and they called to tell me that since it was a problem with ions, they fixed everything for me FREE OF COST. So all these comments about fixing it yourself. Honestly I don't think changing fluids or fuses will help.I took it to two different places and they couldn't do anything because it has to be fixed by a service center. Its a problem with the cars themselves. Take it to a service center. And mention you heard it was a Saturn problem that required a certain procedure to fix. Hopefully they'll fix it for free as well! =)

Spicygrape