BATTERY WILL NOT HOLD CHARGE.

2000 SAAB 9-5

2000 Saab 9-5 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

Hello!

I bought a used saab 9-5 for my daughter. It car faxed ok. I had a new battery put in after hers died. It ran for 2 weeks. Then died. I recharged. Two more weeks and died. The mechanic tested the alternator it tested ok as did the battery. Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Phil
Amrdia

Phill:
We need to determine if there is a constant draw on the battery, even when the key is off.

Here is a how to for checking it. Go through the process and let me know what you find.

http://www.2carpros.com/first_things/why_is_my_car_battery_dead_over_night.htm

Do your alarm work after taking key out of ignition & closing all doors, if not check your ignition key cylinder section if it is jumping up after u take key out or is it sticking down, just to let u know all saab have a system that after 20 minutes all components lock down or go to sleep mode only alarm system is left functioning, so all lights if not in park mode & radio will go to sleep mode, let me know & I can better direct u.

Mnthny4
I checked as you suggested all of the fuse areas. Still nothing. I did not understand the reply from the outside knowsaboutcats.
Your insight greatly appreciated.

Phil

Amrdia
I'm not sure exactly what he means, but it seems he may have had a similar problem. When you tested for a draw on the battery, was there one?

Hey what's up, just to let u know the saab 9-5's have a issue with the ignition switch cylinder section sticking, leaving the electrical component alive even after u take the key out, if u already did the battery draw test watching the test light while pulling your fuses ono at a time then it most be your ignition switch area ti which u r having a problem. Again do your alarm system work after u remove key from vehicle.

Mnthny4
The ignition switch cylinder checks out ok looking at body module?
Does this sound correct? Ant other ideas?

Phil

Amrdia
That is the next thing on the list.

Just saying make sure u did the battery draw test as stated, before u start pullling modules, because if u plan to replace body control module, or [dice] as saab call it, location under d/s dash above relay panel, make sure u disconnect your a/c control panel first, will destroy unit if wrong vin info is set, also remove d/s front seat first & check main alarm or immobilization module [twice unit], located under carpeting after seat removal check if unit looks like it got wet, if so u will need to replace unit, only can be done using a tech2 for programming, so if u did the draw test correctly then these r the only areas to check after taking inconsideration that u checked your alternator charging rate & positive & neg cables also battery condition, note brand new batteries can fail prematurely.

Mnthny4
Ok we have found that the DICE is the culprit. Can you get a used one? Should you? And what should I expect to pay eitherway?

Thanks you guys have been great!

Phil

Amrdia
Yes u can get a used dice unit but u will still need a tech2 scan tool like at the dealer to program unit to vehicle reason been it is vin coded to car, so remember if u get a used one & u want to try it out first remember to unplug your a/c control unit [acc panel] first, u can get one from this place goldwingsaab. Com [1-800-7222-137] they only deal in saabs, good luck

Mnthny4