CAMBELT REPLACEMENT MADE MY CAR GO SLOW

2002 Renault Megane

2002 Renault Megane Manual 56000 miles

I have bought this car two weeks ago. Renault megane dinamique+ hatch 2002. I went to the gararage to do a service. After replaceing the oil and the brakes the car was running very nice. They sugested ti change the cambelt and accesory belt and also engine stabiliser. After doing that the car is much slower. Is like I lost some of the horse power. Could this be because of the wrong instalation of the belts? Thank you
Godlike20x

I had the same problem with mine, lack of power after new cam belt - particularly noticable when driving up steep hills, would have to drop down a few gears to get anywhere.

The cam belt will need to be looked at. On mine, when the engine was running if I opened the bonnet I could hear a distinct 'ticking' noise. I took mine back to the garage (a local small one) and they realigned the belt and it ran ok then, normal power returned. Renault however recommend that the tensioners be replaced when this is done and not to reuse them which I guess the guy did as the belt snapped only 40000 miles later, resulting in a large bill.

VsxAol