RENAULT MEGANE EXHAUST PROBLEM

2000 Renault Megane

2000 Renault Megane 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 137000 miles

hi, I was driving the car and I felt something was wrong I could not get any power when I put my fot on the accelator and when I opened the bonnet there was like water every were and found two cracks and the manifold would the crackes on the manifold just be the problem or is it more than that thank you
Gismo

Are the cracks on the Exhaust manifold or actually on the cars head? Where the exhaust connects?

Dave H
Hi, the cracks are on the exhaust manifold, thank you

Gismo
You need to replace the exhaust manifold. And then determine what caused the manifold crack in the first place? Has the engine management light been on?

Dave H
Hi, going to change the manifold tomorrow no engine warning lights were or are on thank you for your answers, forgot to say there seems to be a lot of white smoke coming from the exhaust when you start the car thanks

Gismo
The " smoke" is probably steam. I'm thinking you should check the compression of the cylinders to check if the head or headgasket is at fault? Obviously do this after replacing the exhaust manifold. Do you have any idea how the manifold cracked. Do you have any creamy deposits in water tank or on oil filler cap?

Dave H
Hi, took the oil cap off and it is like creamy stuff around the cap and at the mouth were you pour the oil in at but when you pull the dip out it is not creamy just oil thank you

Gismo
I would definately have the cylinders compression tested. I suspect the headgasket has gone or your head has warped.

Dave H
What does the head has warped mean thank you

Gismo
If the head has gotten extremely hot it bends slightly (warp's) and replacing a new headgasket on a warped head will just result in the gasket leaking again. Replace the exhaust manifold. Compression test the cylinders. If one of the cylnders has very low compression. Then you either have a leaking gasket or warped head or leaking valves or leaking piston rings. Generally it is the gasket. But the head will need to be checked whilst it is removed !

Dave H