POWER WINDOW PASENGER SIDE

2002 Ford Ranger • 129,000 miles

When you use the power window button, nothing happens. What part needs replaced? The window will not go up or down using the switch on the passenger side door. I have to raise/lower the window using the drivers side switch. What needs replaced?
Brianbooth

You can guess at what needs TO BE replaced as well as anyone. A professional would diagnose the cause of the problem, then determine if any part was defective or a broken wire could be repaired. The interesting thing with power window switches on older vehicles is current goes through two switches in each switch, for a total of four switches, regardless of which one you're using. Only one of those four switches is activated at a time but current goes through the other three and those can have a burned contact. That means there's a 50 percent chance the working switch is the bad one and a 50 percent chance the non-working switch is the bad one. There could also be a broken wire between the door hinges.

On newer vehicles there may be a computer module involved in running the windows. Diagnosing those systems can get pretty involved.

We know the window motor is okay, and since the window works both ways from the driver's switch, logic dictates those wires are okay. My dart board says the 12 volt feed wire going into the passenger door is broken. My second spin of the wheel would be for one of the two switches.