TIMING CHAIN

2004 Pontiac Sunfire

2004 Pontiac Sunfire 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 85000 miles

On 8/26/09 my daughters 04 2.2 Sunfire is making a loud ticking noise, so I have the car towed to Frickey Auto on a good recommendation. Later he calls and tells me the car is not running and the timing chain tensioner is out and it damaged the valves and the repair will cost around $2100. Friend of mine had a used head for the car, so I gave it to Frickey and he had it (sublet resurface cylinder head-bleed lifters-pressure test-r& r cams). Total bill for the work was $1568.50. Frickey called and said the car was ready and I went to pick it up and the car was still making a loud ticking noise so I brought the car back and he told me that the car needed a new timing chain & gear kit and he would not charge me labor. Total cost of second repair was $169.15. After this the car ran and sounded fine until 1/12/10 when the timing chain tensioner went out, I had a diagnostic service done at Expert Tire and Service. I called Frickey and told him about it, he said he had 90 day warranty on labor and 1year on parts. I asked him if he would charge me anything to look at it and he said no. He calls me 3 weeks later and said the car is ready and that he replace the tensioner with a new oem part, but it’s making a little noise. I went to pick it up or look at it and when you first start it up it makes a loud ticking noise and if you open the hood it sounds like timing chain making noise but after a few minutes the noise goes away. Frickey told me he didn’t know was else to do and didn’t charge me this time, so I took the car home and we are not driving it. I don’t know what I can do, in a perfect world I would like to know what is wrong with this motor and do I have any legal ground to stand on, is Frickey still responsible to get the car running right, can I get my money back or a good portion of it?
Thanks, Guy
Wag2000

Its been 5 months before the problems came back after frickey did it. If the part went bad and he fixed it thats all hes obligated to do. He sounds to be doing a really good service by not charging you on the comeback 5 months later. Could be the tensioner is off and not putting enough pressure or the oil is too thick and its not building up pressure till the vehilce warms up causing the pressure to go on the chain again.

Is it the same noise that surfaced in august of last year?

Blackop555
It's the same nosie that it made 5 months ago except the noise goes away after it warms up, before it didn't.

Wag2000
Personally youd have quite the fight to win in court on this one.

You can however try using some thinner oil to see if that will cause it to stop the noise. That vehicle has went thru quite a bit it sounds and you may have some more extensive damage.

If the valves were bent chances are the pistons could have got some cracks in them. Or the rods could have bent or damaged the bearings in the wrist pins or on the crankshaft journals as well

Blackop555