PASSLOCK CAUSING PROBLEMS

2000 Pontiac Sunfire

2000 Pontiac Sunfire 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

My husband was working on the car, and put the key in there, turned to on, and moved the wheels. Guess who left it in the on position and activated the Passlock? That lil rascal cuts the fuel off to the engine, if it gets activated, and boy, is it ever activated. Car was working fine, until he did that. I let him do the brakes, and. Whoo boy. When my brother was alive, he was a Master Certified Mechanic, and he taught me a lot about cars. So I tried the following. 1) Checked fuses ( ok) 2) Checked fuel pump( ok) 3) checked gas filter(ok) 4) poured a small amount of fuel into throttle body, and it DID start, but cut out immediately, which is when I knew the Passlock was up-n-at-em (rolls eyes). Then I tried the following.1) opened door with remote, locked car door while open, closed door, opened door with key 2) put key in ignition, turned it to on position, left it for 10 mins, turned it off, and repeated process 2 more times. THEN tried it for a longer period. Nothing worked, and i've already replaced a functioning fuel pump, AND the gas filter. Any ideas, before I wool the head straight off my husband for leaving the key in the ignition in the first place? And NO, no fuel lines were damaged, while the car was up on the jack - I checked. My brother would be either laughing at all of this, or cursing up a blue streak. I'm heading towards the blue streak myself.
I also ran the computer diagnos on it, and no codes came up. Starting motor is working fine. Battery is fine as well. My brother left me all his Snap-on and Ingersoll Rand tools( let's just say I have 4 full chests of tools) so i'm ready to haul the darn thing apart, i'm so frustrated. If I knew how to disable the Passlock, I would. Grrrrr. I let HIM at the car, because he likes to tinker with it, and I was never fond of beating a tire off the car with a 10 lb sledgehammer, because the lug nuts were seized up( I can do it, just don't like it). Your answer just may save him from getting a strip torn off his hide, verbally : D
Ken'sSister

You only have one chance here and that is the relearn procedure. If this doesn't work, it means that there is a hard fault and your will need a Tech2 scan tool and I'm will to bet he didn't leave you one of those. Your going to be stuck with either the dealer or electrical specaility shop.

30 Minute Re-Learn Procedure
1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes ( the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock√ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).
Important
The vehicle learns the Passlock√ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock√ Sensor Data Code and/or password).
7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if desired (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).

Wrenchtech
Chuckle! No, he didn't but there's no problem in getting any tool/sensor/hydralic lift etc, that's on the market. All i'd have to do is ask, and that's the problem. I just hate asking his buddies for any favors, because they get very. Upset, remembering how he died, in front of them, under that walking beam bushing on that rotten big truck. I look enough like him that I see the memory in their eyes, every time I talk to one of them. If they knew about the problem, they'd be over in a flash : s I don't like using anyone, even if they offer the help, and would rather do it myself. I'll try this, tomorrow, in daylight : ) I don't think I waited after turning the key off, any of thetimes I tried

Ken'sSister
This is not something the average mechanic will have. It is a factory GM scan tool and with it costing $10K plus and only being good for GM, it's not that common in the aftermarket.

Wrenchtech
I tried what you said, had a bit of patience, for a change, and yes it worked! YaHOO ! : D one of the guys dropped by, just as I was closing the hood : O Thank you so VERY much for all your help! I'd have hated to be at it when he showed up - i'd have been glared at, AND read the riot act, big time, for not asking for help. Once again, THANK you! JUST in time! : D
I have got to ask about that sensor though. NOW you have me CURIOUS! LOL Heck with techie toys, gimme techie mechanic gadgets any day : D

Ken'sSister
Here's a deal if you want to buy one. You can spend a lot more adding all the various optional adapters too.

http://www.rockauto.com/

Wrenchtech
That was very nice of you to find that for me, hun : ) Thank you. I should have been a car mechanic, instead of working in my particular brand of " body " shop. The boys usually show me how to use any diagnostic equipment, so they ought to get a kick out of seeing that lil beauty. I was looking at one, today.
Most of my coworkers go around with a first aid kit in the car. ME? I carry booster cables, a car emergency kit, first aid kit AND an AED. Jumpstart/repair kits available for cars AND people!Once again, thanks hun!

Ken'sSister