SHAKING AND SHIMMY

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix

Tires and Wheels problem
2000 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 129, 00 miles

I had a front and rear alignment and 4 new tires put on yesterday. The problem still happens when at 36 mph the car starts to shake and shimmy you feel it in the drivers seat. And front end. Tapers off as you are going to up speed than comes back at 62. Took it back to the place I got the tires put brand new michelin tires and the shaking and shimmy did it worse. Strange. So it isn't my tires. Had hub barring rreplace in front end. They check that all ok. Motor mount on top of motor looks like a dog bone replaced yesterday, still not right. But, when you take your foot off the gas to coast, you don't feel the shaking and shimmying? Just when u give it gas to go starting at 35 mph. So, any one have problems with this, and what is it. Can't afford to ruin a nother set of tires!
help. Thank you

nancy
X38wrestlersmom

They should be able to look at the old tire wear and tell more or less what is wrong with the front end as well as what adjustments had to be made to bring it into spec. Need to check the hubs that the wheels seat against to see if they are bent a little. New tires shouldnt make a vibration worse, they should help if anything, so be sure they are balancing the tires properly and the tie rods are good(inner and outer) Does the engine run smoothly? The trans shift properly?

Jack42
Just got the car back today had struts and plates put in. The problem is still there, putting gas on at speed 25 to 35 you feel the shaking and shimmying. Slows down at 50-62. When u said they should be able to (they is tire barn) I have replaced the hubs last year, and this problem still was there, just not as bad. Lower motor mount on the right side I do believe was replaced. Motor runs smoothly. Trans shifts fine. I am guessing tire barn is balancing the tires properly. Tie rods, well i'd think they'd see that, but I am not there when they are doing the shocks. At first the old tire wear was do to bad alignment front/back tire barn said do to bad cupping on tires. They said if done all that problem was solved, WHICH WAS NOT. Talked to a specialist of transmissions, and he said that shaking and shimmy isn't do to transmission. My front tire feels like at speek 60 that one of the front tires is going to roll away off the car. Lol. Help please.

X38wrestlersmom
Once again this is a stab, but it may be a bad axle (cv joint). These are difficult when you cannot feel the shake to get an idea of where to start.

Jack42
I got a guy that is going to look at the underneath front end wed. So i'll let you know what he finds out. I am banking on axle also.

X38wrestlersmom
Thanks, Id love to know what is

Jack42