A/C CLUTCH FUSE BLOWS

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix

Air Conditioning problem
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

Lost A/C while driving, diagnosed as blown clutch fuse, replace fuse, clutch engages, but turns slowly, then fuse pops. I am trying to figure out if on the grand prix clutch can it be bad, or is that the compressor locking up?
Archemedes

First of all thank you so much for the donation. See if the center of the clutch moves freely?With the year and mileage of your car your probably better off changing the a/c compressor and clutch all together. Let me know what you find.

I can spin it by hand, but feels pretty tight, I figured that was the diagnosis, but didn't want to spend $500 if it just needed a $20 bearing

Archemedes
What model grand prix and engine size do you have?Let me know.

It's a GTP with the 3.8 s/c engine

Archemedes
I found a complete compressor for 177.00 plus 9.00 core plus shipping at http://www.rockauto.com.If you have anymore questions let me know.Thanks again for the donation and thank you for using 2carpros.

Went back out today, and tried a different angle of attack, compressor turns by hand same as one on in laws 01 buick that works fine. With engine running it is not blowing the fuse now, but clutch spins fast about 1 to 1.5 revolutions then stalls for a second, but not as if disengaging, looks like sticking. I spoke to a dealer tech, and he said he's never replaced one of this type for failure except for leakage.

Archemedes
If your saying the clutch is bad and the compressor is good then just replace the clutch if the compressor spins freely your ok. Especially if the dealer says the compressor's don't fail often.I would replace the whole clutch though not just the bearing. Let me know if you have any more question's.