- 2 QUESTIONS/PROBLEMS

1996 Pontiac Grand Am

Make/Year: 1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2.4L Engine
Mileage: 103,000
Owned: Since May 2005

1. Recently I've been having trouble starting up the car. I turn the key and the car cranks, the engine starts up and runs then dies a second later. I know it can't be the spark plugs because they were changed at 100,000 miles. My hunch is that the fuel filter needs to be changed. Because when I leave the key in the " on" position, I can hear the electric fuel pump working. Its gotten worse since the air is cold. If I am right where is the fuel filter located?

2. The dashboard is completely dead. When the car is on all that works is the milage guage. The speedometer, tackometer, water temp, and fuel gauge are stuck in a random position and the water temp light as well as the fuel warning light are stuck on. What needs to be done to get this fixed?
CrazyChase

These engines are fussy. When the plugs get changed, I always recommend the spark plug boots get done at the same time because of the exact problem you have. Coil housings have a big issue on these as well.

The instrument cluster may need replaced based on your description, Did you check fuses?

I " think" the fuel filter in in the rear behind the fuel tank. There is a evap cannister that has a bolt or two that needs to come down first.

1. Since the fuel filter is only a 15-20 dollar part, I'll go ahead and try to change that and see what happens.

2. Fuses - I found two locations for where the fuses are in the car: one area next to the dashboard on the driver's side of the car, and another under the hood. Since I don't know what most of them mean I write it to you guys.

Driver's Side
10A TURN_____10A CRUISE(no fuse there)_____10A ALARM_____10A AIR BAG_____ 10A PCM
10A INT LPS_____20A TAIL LPS_____20A FOG/FTP_____15A HORN_____10A DR LKL
______________________________10A PRNDL_____10A INST_____10A INST LPS
30A PWR ST_____15A LTR_____20A DR LK 2_____20A STOP HAZ_____30A RR DEF

10A RDO IGN_____25A WIPER
25A HTR-A/C_____10A O2

________________10A DR UNLK

30A C.B. PWR WDO______20A C.B. HLDF

RELAY RR DEF

Under the Hood (had a difficult time writing it down on paper so a couple may be spelled wrong)
20A ABS/EVO_____20A ERLS_____20A FP/INSV
10A PLM BAT_____30A HVAC ELO MCT_____20A IGN MOD
SHUNT
40A CLG RAN
60A HDLP
60A STOP LPS, PWR ACC, RR DEFG
40A ABS
60A IGN SW

CrazyChase
I've been trying to change the fuel filter for about 2 hours and have been unsuccessful. i've had to stop now due to darkness and the cold.

here is what i am currently stumped on. that little black gizmo thing between the filter and the hose appears to be what is causing the filter to not be removed, or there's something inside it that i don't know of. i don't want to break it cause i don't know if it is required when i put the new filter in.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/4000_Filter_1.jpg

is there a special tool or way to get the filter removed or is it just brute force or something?

CrazyChase
Probably would have good to have a filter to see what it has, some brands supply things that others don't. There is a tool for that, might as well get it while your there.

Thanks for the donation : D

If it gets mangled, which does happen, this company has them
Just find the local distributor.

Or the dealer has them.

Here's the new filter.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/4000_FilterNew_1.jpg

thanks for the info and i have 2 more questions reguarding this. is the new filter going to require the black cap thing to be put back in? also do i need both the A/C and Fuel line disconnet, or just the fuel disconnect?

CrazyChase
Shazam! Those are some awful clean hands :lol:

You will need to reuse the black retainer or get another one. Just the fuel line disconnect. The parts store may be able to show you how to use it if you haven't already figured it out.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_filter_1.jpg

The tool presses on these two tabs and allow you to pull the filter out of the line.

Great! Thanks! Ill finish this tomorrow.

CrazyChase
That is right paul for the instrument cluster, He must check the fuses and voltage supply to the display.

Mathiaso
mathiaso,
Hey Brother, Good of you to drop in :)

It's got the makings of a bad cluster don't it?

Check these fuses:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_fuse_1.jpg

Yes that is right, it's a good help that people comes with pictures or diagrams.

Mathiaso
Page 1 of 2