HEADLIGHT DOOR-

2000 Pontiac Firebird

My daughters 2000 firebird, 3.8l auto, 80k miles, the drivers side headlight door motor continues to run when the lights are turned off- everything else works- I can operate the doors manually with the fuses- and leave them out with the doors up so it won't strip the motor gear- I checked the wiring harness and connectors, also replaced the headlight module and it does the same thing. I can't find any limit switch or sensor that could control it, just 2 wires to the bulbs and wires going into the door motor- my book shows nothing, and the dealer acted like I was a thief when I asked for a block diagram- so what's up? Am I missing something? Sincerely, frank walker, springfield ga. (Burldoor21@aol. Com) p.S. I will make a donation!
Fractal111

That is a strange problem frank. I was looking through the schmatics and it looks like the actuator control module pretty much does it all....I have included a pic of the diagram and the description and operation....

When the headlamp switch is turned to the HEAD position, battery voltage is applied to the headlamp opening door actuator control module through circuit 10. Battery voltage is constantly applied to the headlamp opening door actuator control module from the LH HDLP DR MiniFuseĀ® 15A and from the RH HDLP DR, MiniFuseĀ® 15A. The headlamp opening door actuator control module is grounded by G106. The LH headlamp door opens when battery voltage is applied to the LH headlamp opening door motor through circuit 840, the headlamp opening door actuator control module, and circuit 576. Ground is applied through circuit 577. The RH headlamp door opens when battery voltage is applied to the RH headlamp door motor through circuit 740, the headlamp opening door actuator control module, and circuit 578. Ground is applied to circuit 579. When the headlamp switch is moved to the OFF position, battery voltage is no longer applied to the headlamp opening door actuator control module through circuit 10. The LH headlamp door closes when battery voltage is applied to the LH headlamp door motor through circuit 577 and ground is applied to circuit 576. The RH headlamp door closes when battery voltage is applied to the RH headlamp door through circuit 579 and ground is applied to circuit 578.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/86485_513304_1.jpg

I hope this helps ya out alittle...I would get a test light and go at it and find out where the voltage is coming from that is keeping that motor runing...

Cly

Cly
I had this happen to my 98 trans am and I fixed the problem here: the problem as the website explains is due to a plastic gear which is working with a metal gear so naturally the plastic gear will go out. You can either turn the gear 180 degrees to make new teeth go up against the metal gear or buy a metal gear, such as in the web stie. The website talks about both fixes. I did the 180 degree shift first but the problem occured a few months later. I would buy a gear for both headlights since the other one will surely have the same probelm down the road. THe fix is not too difficult and I have had years of problem free headlights after I put in the metal gears. I also went to the dealership but they wanted to replace the whole headlight mechanism which was really expensive. Hope this helps.
Tom

Pongotx
Pongotx is is right the gear is wiped out