CV HALF SHAFT

2001 Pontiac Aztek

Suspension problem
2001 Pontiac Aztek 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100, 00 miles

I need to remove the cv half shaft. Do I need to raise the engire, or can I just remove the bolts holding the cv half shaft?
Jeffsgunderson

Actually, this is a major repair. No you don't have to lift the engine, but you do need to remove many of the steering components, ball joints, hub assembly. I recommend getting a good repair manual that has step by step instructions and pictures to help identify parts. For me to explain it via the internet allows too much room for error.

First thank you!I think I made a big mistake. I do not think it is my cv half shaft, but the rack in pinion. The shaft that is bent is off the wheel, and goes all the way across to the other wheel. So anyway I need to remove the rack in pinion. Looking at a manual at the library it appears easy enough. I do need to remove the power steering line. And a few other bolts. Would you agree! Thanks again. And hopefully I do not need to raise the engine. God Bless

Jeffsgunderson
That is different. You still don't have to raise the engine, and what you described sounds correct.