PLEASE HELP. STEERING WHEEL MAKES NOI

1998 Plymouth Voyager

Noises problem
1998 Plymouth Voyager 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 98000 miles

Hi,

I have a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager Expresso, and I am having a problem with a steering noise. The noise occurs when I turn the steering wheel to the left. At relatively high speeds I can't notice the noise. But when I am exiting my driveway and turn the steering wheel completely to the left, I hear a groaning noise accompanied by a soft clicking noise. The clicking noises aren't sharp and clear, but they are very soft.

Please help.

Thank you so much!

-AC
Mountain123peak

Is the noise coming from steering wheel or from some other location? If it is the steering wheel, you may have a clockspring malfunction.

Insuranceguy
I think the noise is coming from the steering wheel. If it is a clockspring malfunction, then is it a major problem? Would it damage any component of the vehicle? If it fails, then what would happen?

Mountain123peak
Clock spring malfunction can cause horn, cruise control, SRS airbag and other steering wheel mounted controls or components to not operate. The electrical circuit to these components can be interrupted if clock spring is not functioning.

Insuranceguy
Hi,

I recently found out that I have to replace the steering column in my 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager because it was previously stolen, and after recovery, I found that the ignition mechanism was broken. The mechanic says that a new one costs about $650. So, he is looking for a used one, and if he can't find the used one, he will just get a new one. Is that a good idea?

Is the clock spring part of the steering column? Would replacing the steering column also automatically replace the clock spring?

Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks!

Mountain123peak
Typically, the steering wheel would be replaced with the steering column. If you get a new column, the clock spring would be new, also. If you get a used column, it would be advisable to have the mechanic install a new clock spring (approx. $65.00 for the part if purchased at parts store) at the same time. This will ensure that the airbag, horn, etc. Would function correctly. Since you mentioned the steering column damage from the theft in this post, and not previously, it may be possible that the noise is from a malfunction or problem somewhere lower on the steering column. This could be checked fairly easily by the mechanic.

Insuranceguy
Thanks. I also found out that I have another (not related to vehicle performance) problem. Do you know where I can obtain two bucket seats for my 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager Expresso? The thief took the two seats out of the car, and I am desperately looking for replacement seats. Can you tell me ASAP where I can get them?

Thanks again.

Mountain123peak
Check your local salvage yards. Because of the recent " Cash for clunkers" program, they are full of later model vehicles like ours. I have seen extremely clean, well-maintained, low mileage Caravans, Voyagers, T & Cs
at several AND they MUST be sold for parts under the law. I recently purchased a steering column for my 2000 Gr. Voyager along with a am/fm/cd/cass console for less than $75 at a pull-it-yourself yard. Happy hunting!

Insuranceguy
Thanks. I went into the minivan this morning, and found that one of the power rear windows was not working. The rear windows are controlled using the " L Vent" and " R Vent" buttons located on the door on the driver's side. The right rear window opens fine, but the left rear window doesn't open upon pressing the " L Vent" button. Then, someone tried to push it as I hit the " L vent" button, and it opened in a very, very hesitant and sluggish manner. Do you know what the problem is? Is it because the mechanism needs lubrication, or is it because I need a new motor for that left rear window?

Thanks.

Mountain123peak