FUEL PROBLEM? CRANKS BUT WON'T START

1993 Plymouth Acclaim

Engine problem
1993 Plymouth Acclaim 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 220000 miles

Hey Guys,

I have been trouble shooting my Acclaim for the past three days. Here is what I have found:

Engine will crank but not start. Engine has good spark, compression and air.

I thought at first it was the fuel pump because the car would start right away when I spray quick start into throttle body and if you keep spraying it, it will continue to run. But I checked the fuel pump and it has good pressure. Fuel Filter is new and is not the problem because I checked the fuel pressure right up until it goes into the throttle body.

So I was thinking either the Fuel Regulator or the injectors? Or is there some sort of EFI module that could be bad?

I had driven the car the day before and everything was running fine. When I went to start the car in the morning for work (much milder day than usual) it almost started on first key turn and then would not start. Hasnt since.

Another thing I noticed is that when the engine is cranking a tiny bit of fuel is dripping out of the module that is directly over the hole in the throttle body. I am thinking this is some type of secondary injector? Maybe when the throttle is wide open? But it is not enough fuel dripping to start the engine. I have to spray quick start to get it to turn over. Not sure if this means anything or not but thought I would mention it.

Please let me know what I should check next as I really need to get this bad boy back on the road.

Really appreciate your help!

Cheers, RG
Grassier

Chryslers use an Auto Shut Down Relay or ASD. This could very well be the problem. First get a test light and check for power to one side of the injector harness. The fuel is dripping from the fuel pressure regulator, it needs to be replaced or it will run rich

Jack42
Well I actually already tested the ASD relay and it was fine. Plus it also controls the fuel pump and it is working fine while the car is cranking. The fuel makes it all the way to the throttle body but never seems to get injected into the engine. Could it be just the fuel regulator? I just didnt think the fuel regulator would just quit all of a sudden like that? Figured it must be something computer or electrical.

What else can I try?

Grassier
You need to check for pulse at the injector, that is why I asked you to check for power at the injector plug. If you have a " noid" light see if it flashes when cranking

Jack42
OK I will check tonight and report back! Thanks!

Grassier