ENGINE OVER HEATING

2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 141, 00 miles

I have 2000 olds intrigue with 141,000 miles. My first problem is I am loosing coolant. I dont not have any coolant puddles or see any coolant leaking from any where. But my low coolant light on my dash comes on. I just add coolant when I see it come on. This has been happening for over a year. Where is the coolant leaking from. Next, this summer, I live in charlotte, nc average summer temp it 90. While driving on the highway with ac on, the car runs hotter then normal. On a few occasions the temp gage would get to 3/4. Well I turned the ac off and turned on the heat to cool engine down. That worked. So I didnt use the ac any more. From then on temp stayed at normal degree. Well, now it want to run hot all the time. I was on the highway with no ac running and the temp gage shot up to the red very quickly. I got off the highway immediately. As soon as I got off I watch the temp gage go right back down to half way, while this is still running warm it ran fine from there. I had to park the car so I could do other work on it, replaced crank shaft sensor and oil pressure sensor. After getting that work done, I took it for a short drive, around 10 min. During the test drive, it was running normal at 35 mph. Well I got up to 45 and I just watched the temp gage keep rising to the red. So I turned on the heater to see if I could bring back down. It wasnt blowing any heat. After a couple of min, about 3, it started to blow heat and at the same time the temp gage came back down to normal operating temp. I have read some of your q& a form, and from those I have an idea it could be the thermostat and/or radiator. Im I correct? Also why am I loosing coolant again?
Sunrise investments

First thing is too look for any white powdery type stains along the edges of the intake maniflold, and sides of the block, this indicates coolant leaks, other possibility is it's being burned off in the motor due to a bad head gasket. Any bubles or foam in the radiator? And are you using a 50-50 water antifreeze mix? If thermostat has never been changed, it might be stuck. A prseeure test using a coolant system pressure tester will reveal if the engine can hold pressure, or if there is a leak.

Merlin2021
I looked for any white powdery stains, and there looks to be none. Will it be real noticeable? I cant look in the radiator due to the setup, the cap is on the reservoir not on the radiator. I did look it the reservoir and did not see any bubbles or foam. I am using a 50/50 mixture. I have not replaced the thermostat, I agree that it is probably sticking also. I will replace it and see how it reacts.

Sunrise investments
I recommend a pressure test, this determines if and what is loosing antifreeze. Either rent the too at autozone, or have it done ata radiator shop, there are several tests that are done with it.

Merlin2021