1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass Repair Question
1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass fluid level
1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 80,000 miles
How do I check my transmission fluid level. There is a red cap marked transmission fluid that screws into the top of the transmission, but has no dip stick attached. My owners manual states it must be checked by my retailer. I would like to change my fluid and filter. Is the transmission fluid capacity available(less the torque converter). Can you please help?
First of all thank you so much for your donation.
Your transmission take's about 7.4 quart's of gm dextron VI
Just follow the filling instruction's in the drain and refill i posted.
The fluid level should be checked when the transaxle is near Room temperature or at 40 °C (104 °F) .
CAUTION: Removal of the fluid level screw when the transaxle fluid is hot may cause injury. Use care to avoid contact of transaxle fluid to exhaust pipe.
The engine must be running when the transaxle fluid level screw is removed, or excessive fluid loss will occur. Since the actual fluid level is unknown, stand clear when removing the fluid level screw. Have a container ready to capture any lost fluid.
WARNING: Do not turn the engine off with the fluid level screw removed as you can be injured by hot transaxle fluid being expelled out of the fluid check hole.
1. Let vehicle idle for three to five minutes with accessories off.
2. Apply brake
3. Move shift lever through all gear ranges, pausing three seconds in each range.
4. Place shift lever in Park.
Important: Vehicle must be kept level on the hoist.
5. Raise vehicle on hoist.
6. Place oil container under fluid level screw.
7. Remove the fluid level screw with the engine running at idle.
8. Fluid level should be at the bottom of the fluid check hole. Because the transaxle operates correctly over a range of fluid levels, fluid may or may not drain out of the fluid check hole when the fluid level screw is removed. If fluid drains through the fluid check hole, this transaxle may have been overfilled. When fluid stops draining, the fluid level is correct and the fluid level screw may be installed. If fluid does not drain through the fluid check hole, the transaxle fluid level may be low. Proceed to ADDING TRANSAXLE FLUID.
9. Install fluid level screw.
Tighten 12 N.m (106 lb in)
10. Lower vehicle.
11. Shut off engine.
23,192 answers provided