ILL EXPLAIN IN THE MESSAGE PLEASE LET

1992 Oldsmobile Ciera

1992 Oldsmobile Ciera 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 145000 miles

Okay, this problem has happened three times now, I think it happens when the engine warms up. Anyways what's happening is after a little while of driving the car I will be driving along and I will pull up to a stop light and when I am slowing down the car starts to mildly jerk when I press on the brake further it jerks forward abruptly and then when I stop it dies completely. When I am at a stop light I will turn it back on, if I immedeately put it in drive after starting it, it just dies. If I put it in park and rev the engine a bit it will start going again, but then the problem will happen again. Let me know what you think.
Art
Artgoodwin

OK Art, it sounds like the TPS(throttle position)sensor. Is your check engine light on? Let's read the codes: Cross these two terminals as shown with a piece of wire, then turn the key on. Count the flashes, a 22 will flash as 2 flashes then a short pause, then 2 flashes, if more than one code is stored, the pause will be longer. The codes will display three times and end with 12. Write them down and post here. This connector is right under the middle of the dash...

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Pre95GM1_7.jpg

Merlin2021
Hey merlin, I'm so glad someone replied. Thank you so much. Anyway I looked im my car, granted it is night time and I can't find a flashlight, I couldn't find the terminal port. I did however try starting the car up again and putting it in drive. It's wierd because this has happened a few times, when the car sits for a while it goes back into drive, but when I drive it for awhile the same problem comes back. I will try checking it in the morning, just so you know I am really short on cash and all money saving suggestions I would appreciate so much. Thanks again for replying, let me know what you think.
Art

Artgoodwin
Merlin just wanted to add that before you reply next if you can't figure out whats going on with it maybe we can at least try and diagnose exactly whats wrong with it because there is a shop right next to my house that I'm comfortable taking the car that far but I dont want to have them look at it because they want to charge me a hundred dollars just to diagnose the problem. Just wanted to add all that before you take the time to answer back.
Thanks,
Art

Artgoodwin
This test port, called the ALDL is under the dash, screwed right to the bottom edge of the dash, or under the ashtray. Most of the time it's on the driver's side, but it can be on the passenger side. Yours lists it as being left side of dash near steering column.

Merlin2021
Okay I did what you said. The check engine light spit a set of sequences I am going to write them down in sequence order like it blunk 1 then pause then 2 then pause so that would be 1-2, ill write it down lemme kno if this helps.
Okay it went
1-2 1-2 1-2 2-6 2-6 2-6 2-7 2-7 2-7 4-4 4-4 4-4

im not sure if there was one last 4 blinks at the end or not, let me know if you need me to do it again or this is enough.
Thanks again,
Art

Artgoodwin
12 is normal and always displays three times, then the other stored codes display, good job reading it! Here's the scoop.
26. Quad-driver module fault, or no throttle switch input 27. Quad driver module #2 circuit fault, or open throttle switch.
44. Oxygen Sensor reads lean (low voltage of 0.2 or less), or left O2 sensor reading lean.
CODE 26, QUAD-DRIVER CKT, (1 OF 3) Each ECM Quad-Driver has a fault line which is monitored by ECM. ECM compares voltage values of fault line with acceptable values in ECM memory. If ECM senses values other than accepted values, a Code 26 will set. QDM " B" will not set a Code 26. 1. ECM does not know which controlled circuit set Code 26. This tests SERVICE ENGINE SOON light driver and circuit. 2. QDM symptoms:  TCC inoperative (Code 39).  Hot light/check gauges light always on, off during bulb check  Cooling fan always on or will not come on at all.  Poor driveability due to 100 percent canister purge. DIAGNOSTIC AIDS Coolant temperature sensor, in rare cases, may fail to indicate correct coolant temperature without setting a malfunction code (Code 14 or 15). This could result in turning on hot light without having an overheating condition. It could also result in engine overheating without turning on hot light. Check coolant sensor. See COOLANT TEMPERATURE RESISTANCE TEST table in SENSOR RANGE CHARTS article in this Section. HOT LIGHT OR CHECK GAUGES LIGHT DIAGNOSIS Hot light/check gauges light is powered by 10-amp GAGES fuse. Light will turn on when ECM provides a ground for circuit. If circuit grounds between light and ECM, light will glow anytime ignition is turned on. 1. Turn ignition on with engine off (bulb test). If hot light/check gauges light glows, go to step 3). If hot light/check gauges light does not glow, check following:  10-amp GAGES fuse.  Faulty instrument cluster bulb.  Open circuit between fuse and hot light/check gauges light. 2. Backprobe terminal YF2 at ECM using a test light to battery voltage. Turn ignition on. If test light does not glow, ECM terminal connection is bad or ECM is faulty. If test light glows, turn ignition off. Disconnect ECM connectors. Jumper terminal YF2 to ground. Turn ignition on. If hot light/check gauges light does not glow, check for open circuit between light and ECM. If NOTE: Test numbers refer to numbers on diagnostic chart. NOTE: Models equipped with an indicator cluster have a hot temperature light on dash. Models equipped with a gauge cluster have a check gauges light. These checks assume vehicle is not overheating. Verify proper operation of cooling system before diagnosing hot light/check gauges light. Light does not glow, all circuits (including bulb) are intact and power is available to light, instrument cluster must be replaced. 3. Start engine. If light goes off, no problem is evident. See DIAGNOSTIC AIDS. If light is on, turn ignition off. Disconnect ECM connector. Probe ECM harness terminal YF2 using a test light to battery voltage. If light is off, replace ECM. If light is on, repair short to ground in circuit No. 35. If no short is present, replace instrument cluster.
CODE 26, QUAD-DRIVER CKT, W/3T40 TRANS. (2 OF 3) On models with 3T40 transmission, QDM " A" fault status on " Scan" tester should read HIGH until 2nd gear switch is closed or brake is applied. To simulate driving in 2nd gear and change status to LOW, disconnect TCC connector, and connect test light between harness terminals " A" and " D". 3) This step determines which circuit is out of specification. DIAGNOSTIC AIDS Monitor voltage of each terminal while moving related harness connectors, including ECM harness. If fault is induced, voltage will change. This may help locate intermittent problems. If code reappears with no apparent problems, replace ECM. NOTE: Test number refers to number on diagnostic chart.
CODE 26, QUAD-DRIVER CKT, (3 OF 3) 4) This step determines if problem is circuit or component. Factory-installed ECM has an internal fuse and is unlikely to need replacement. Fig. 31: Code 26, Quad-Driver Ckt (3 of 3) Fig. 32: Code 26 Flow Chart (Part 3 of 3) CODE 27 OR 28, GEAR SWITCH CKTS, W/3T40 TRANSAXLE Gear switches are located inside transaxle. Switches are normally closed. As vehicle speed increases, hydraulic pressure applies specific gear clutches and gear switch opens. ECM uses gear switches input signals in calculations to determine control fuel delivery and TCC operation. Code 27 will set if mid gear 2nd switch indicates ground or closed switch for 12 seconds when vehicle is in 3rd gear or if mid gear 2nd switch circuit indicates an open when engine is first started. Code 28 will set if high gear 3rd switch circuit indicates ground or closed switch for 10 seconds when vehicle is in 3rd gear or if high gear 3rd circuit indicates an open when engine is first started. 1. A digital volt-ohmmeter must be used in this test. A test light will not work due to low voltage supplied by ECM. 2. Checks if circuit is grounded through switch. 3. Checks for a good, properly operating switch and checks circuit within transaxle for an improper ground. DIAGNOSTIC AIDS Check for poor connections at ECM pins. Inspect harness for incorrect routing (too close to high voltage wiring) and chafing. Monitor voltage of each terminal while moving related harness connectors. If failure is induced, voltage reading will change. NOTE: Test number refers to number on diagnostic chart. NOTE: Test numbers refer to numbers on diagnostic chart.
This all can be either a bad 02 sensor, causing the engie to remain in open loop(cold engine) operation or a bad ECT(engine coolant temp sensor), Some were called CTS Coolant temp sensor. This also would cause cold engine operation all the time. It acts like a choke for fuel injected cars. Check your email I will send full testing info.

Merlin2021
I got your message it sounds like a lot of crazy stuff. I would check on it but I dropped it off at a friend of my brothers who owns his own shop. So he's going to check on it and let me know. Im hoping the repairs wont be too costly. Thanks for replying I really appreciate it.
Art

Artgoodwin
Art, yep it is crazy stuff, most mechanics are nuts! There are defiantly easier ways to make a living! Let me know what you find please.

Merlin2021
Hey merlin I just got a phone call from the person I left the car with he said all he could find was a cracked vacuum hose and he said he would replace it. I don't know much about this stuff but I looked it up and it said that a cracked hose could throw a lot of stuff off. Just thought i'd let you know I'll let you know how the car runs. Thanks so much for the help.
Art

Artgoodwin
Ok Art, I'll check back!

Merlin2021
Page 1 of 8