NOISE FROM MOTOR 4.0 SOHC

2003 Ford Explorer

Changed the oil, when I started it there is a noise coming from the top of the motor. What could be the problem. It sounds like a rattle noise at the front and top of the motor driver side. I was told it could be something with the timing chain but it runs and idles fine. I was also told that it could be a bad lifter

Ksl

Ford had some problems with wear on the ends of the push rods. That caused a clicking noise as they rotated and snapped on the grooves in the bottoms of the rocker arms. A loose timing chain can slap against the cover too. A loose chain causes late camshaft and valve timing which increases low-end torque and decreases high-end torque. That's what they do with motor home engines.

Forgot to mention that sometimes a lifter will bleed down during an oil change and take a while to pump up. I had one that took a 30-mile drive on the highway every time I did an oil change, then it would be fine until the next one.