BRAKES LIGHTS STAY ON

2000 Nissan Xterra

2000 Nissan Xterra 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

Yesterday my battery went dead but not your typical dead batery, battery was less than three years old but I live in Souther Hot Florida and thought the life is shorter than the Midwest. Yesterday after work the battery barely started the car this morning totally dead no clicking, lights or nothing thought I left something on. Put a new battery in and the Alarm system started went off, I have never used the alarm sytem, bought the suv useed 4 years ago and did noth ave keyless key either. After the horn and lights flased I went over to the car put the key in the door and the alarm shuit off but the three brake lights now stay on, I think this started yesterday, maybe that is why the battery was dead. I disconnected the battery first negative and reconnected then positive then reconnected but the brake lights stay on. If I remember correclty I think the red alarme indicator inside is always on but never have had a issue with the alarm really did not knew it existed until today. I disconnted the negative cable tonight before I went to bed so the battery would not be dead in the morning. Thought about looking for the fuses, their appears to be a larger separate fuse books that handles the alarm and pull the alarm fuse to see if they would solve the issue. I appreciate you help.

jrex
Rhester

You need to check the brake switch-follow the brake pedal arm to the support bracket you will find the switch here-try adjusting it or replace it if its defective.

If this question comes up again, instead of replacing the switch, check to make sure that the plastic tab that goes into the hole at the end, in the arm itself, is in place. I had the same problem of lights staying on. Both tabs to the brake switch and the cruise control were missing. If you cannot find a plastic tab, just go to the autoparts store and buy a metal clip, like the ones used on the body parts. I think they are called a u clip. Just slide the clip into place, a slight expansion of the clip may be needed.

Aces2112